Today’s blog post will be short and sweet as I’ve already worked a 12 hour day, and I’m still not done with everything I have to do!
Work Trip to Salt Lake City, Utah:
I’m leaving tomorrow for a work trip to Salt Lake City, Utah, and there’s a lot to prepare for the client before going.
As a Consultant, I travel about once per week or every other week for work. Work trips are usually around 2-3 days, and could be anywhere in the U.S.
For this particular project, I’ll be working to help the client implement a new system over the next 6 months.
I’ve done about 50% of the preparation work so far, but I still have to create my PPT slides and notes.
I’ll be in Utah for about 3 days. I’ve never been, so I’m looking forward to exploring Salt Lake City for the first time.
I LOVE traveling for fun, but work trips are not always so exciting. It’s nice to visit a city that I would like to see anyways.
My husband was out of town for work the first half of this week. He returns tomorrow, so basically he comes home right when I leave. Story of our lives!
Side Job/Hustle Search:
Along with preparing for tomorrow’s trip, I’m also applying for side jobs tonight (see blog post from yesterday as to why I’m looking for extra work).
I have 2 interviews for remote part time positions scheduled this week! Both would bring in an additional 12k a year of income.
That money is going straight to paying down student loan debt. Both jobs would require working about 3 extra hours a day.
I also created a profile on Upwork.com. Upwork is a site that lists freelance work for Project Managers, Virtual Assistants, Mobile Developers, Designers, Writers, Finance Professionals, Customer Service Agents, Accounts, Sales/Marketers, etc.
I’m also scouring Indeed and LinkedIn for remote positions, preferably part time.
I see a lot of postings for remote full time positions. I’m not sure I could swing another full time job, but to be honest, the thought did cross my mind! 😉
How sweet would it be to be pulling in two full time equivalent paychecks each week?!?! Ahhhh, I can’t even imagine how good it would feel to have that second income.
Aside from applying for side work on Upwork and Indeed, I’m still looking into alternative ways to earn extra side income.
I’m debating renting out one of our guest bedrooms on Airbnb. My husband is adamantly opposed to this idea, even if the money will go toward paying down his debt! Has anyone done this, and if so, what was your experience like?
If anyone has ideas on generating income from a side job/hustle remotely (since I travel quite a bit), let me know! I’d love to hear from you.
Asking for a Raise:
Finally, I also scheduled a meeting today with my boss for next week so I can formally ask for a raise. I’ve started putting together a list of what I need to do to prepare for the meeting.
- I’ll be compiling a list of my accomplishments and contributions to the department from over the past 2 years.
- Along with focusing on my past performance, I’ll also be demonstrating how I plan to continue to do well in my role in the future.
- I made a list of my company’s short and long term needs as they directly tie to our department, and I’ve spelled out how my personal work contributions meet these needs.
- I’m going into the discussion with a specific pay increase goal in mind. My number is 10k. This number isn’t arbitrary and was based on research from considering the average pay in my field, and factoring in my contributions and performance.
- I’ve been brushing up on negotiation tips from reading articles, books, blogs, and talking to friends.
- I plan to keep the discussion very positive, and avoid coming off as if I’m complaining about my current pay or situation.
My husband will be scheduling his meeting with his boss to do the same thing when he gets back from his work trip.
Wish us luck!